Covid-19 Alert: We remain fully operational and still conduct in-person meetings should it be deemed necessary after an initial phone consultation. Full personal protective wear required. Please visit our blog about President Trump’s April 23, 2020 Executive Order and how it may affect you.

L-1 Visas

Fort Lauderdale L-1 Visas Attorney

L-1 Work Visas in Pembroke Pines, Miramar & Weston

Although the H-1B work visa only permits a temporary stay in the United States, the L-1 Intracompany Transferee visa can ultimately help those who have it obtain employment-based permanent residency. Eligibility for this visa is only available to those working for a foreign company with subsidiaries, parents, affiliates, or branches within the U.S.

If you wish to obtain an L-1 visa, getting help from an experienced lawyer can help you demonstrate to authorities a few key qualifications. At The Law Offices of Nishan C. Mahendran, P.A., we help clients prove that they are a manager or executive (for L-1A visas) or have specialized knowledge (L-1B) that qualifies them for this visa. Moreover, Mr. Mahendran can help you gather and arrange the necessary documents to show that you have been employed by your corporation outside of U.S. on a full-time basis for at least one continuous year out of the three most recent prior to filing a petition to obtain this visa.

Do you need help getting an L-1 visa near Miramar, Weston, or Pembroke Pines? Contact The Law Offices of Nishan C. Mahendran, P.A. to speak with Mr. Mahendran, an L-1 visas attorney near Fort Lauderdale. Call (800) 716-4990 today to schedule a free consultation!

Admittance to the U.S. on an L-1 Visa

There is no current cap on L-1 visas. Moreover, unlike H-visas, the employer is not required to obtain a certified labor condition application with the U.S. Department of Labor prior to petitioning in the L-1 category.

Furthermore, unlike H-visas, the level of compensation is not specified by the USDOL, but the income while in the U.S. must be enough to prevent the cost of processing an L-1 visa to come at the public’s expense. Avoiding this unfavorable outcome is possible by letting an L-1 visa attorney near Fort Lauderdale, such as Mr. Mahendran, address this issue and provide advice backed by his years of experience servicing immigration law matters.

L-2 Dependents

Your spouse or unmarried children younger than 21 years of age can qualify as L-2 dependents when you receive your L-1 visa. Dependents may attend school, if appropriate, and spouses may receive work authorization.

Filing the L-1 Petition with the USCIS

The L-1 petition filed with the USCIS by the U.S. Employer-Petitioner must include all of the following:

  • Proof of the corporate relationship between the U.S.-based business entity and the foreign employer
  • A letter from the L-1 beneficiary 's qualifying foreign employer detailing his or her employment information including dates of employment, job description, qualifications, duties, and salary; and establishing that the L-1 Beneficiary worked for the foreign employer for no less than one year (continuous) within the three-year period immediately preceding the filing of the petition
  • A description of the L-1 Beneficiary 's proposed job qualifications, duties, and proof that the proposed position of employment is in a managerial or executive capacity or that the L-1 beneficiary’s position requires specialized skills and/or knowledge.

Opening a New Office in the U.S.

One benefit of the L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa is that a new office can be opened in the U.S. in places like Weston, Pembroke Pines, and Miramar, becoming the domestic petitioner for the L-1 beneficiary. In this context, the L-1 beneficiary enters the U.S. as a manager or executive (L-1A) to open or to be employed in a new office.

The following evidence must also be included with the petition:

  • Proof of physical premises for the new office
  • Evidence that the beneficiary has the requisite relationship to the foreign corporation (employer) and the qualifying position
  • Proof that the intended U.S.-based entity can financially support the L-1 beneficiary within one year of the granting of the petition.

Importantly, the initial L-1 visa for a new office is valid for one year, at which point an L-1 extension petition should be filed at the end of that first year to show that the new U.S. office continues to justify the L-1 beneficiary’s position.

Blanket Petition

Companies that obtain many L-1 visas may be eligible to obtain Blanket L Petitions in order to expedite the process of obtaining future L-1 visas for foreign employees.

A blanket L petition is filed with USCIS and must include evidence that the:

  • U.S. employer/petitioner has been doing business for at least one year in the United States;
  • U.S. employer/Petitioner has at least three domestic and foreign branches, subsidiaries, or affiliates; and
  • U.S. employer/Petitioner has obtained approved petitions for 10 or more L-1 professionals during the most recent year or have U.S. divisions or subsidiaries or affiliates with combined annual sales of $25 million or more or have a U.S. workforce of 1,000 or more employees

Once a Blanket L Approval is obtained from USCIS, the Petitioner can then file for individual employees to enter via the Blanket L Petition, which must include.:

  • The approval notice for the blanket L petition;
  • A letter from the L-1 Beneficiary 's foreign qualifying employer detailing employment start and end dates, qualifications, job duties, and salary and establishing that the L-1 Beneficiary worked for the foreign employer for at least one continuous year within the three-year period before the filing of the petition; and
  • A description of the L-1 Beneficiary 's proposed job duties and qualifications and evidence the proposed employment is in an executive or managerial capacity or in a position involving specialized knowledge.

How Do I File for an L-1 Visa?

If all the above information leads you to believe an L-1 visa is appropriate for you and your company, contact the L-1 visa attorney near Fort Lauderdale at The Law Offices of Nishan C. Mahendran, P.A. Mr. Mahendran can help you file for an L-1 visa that can allow you to work Pembroke Pines, Miramar, or Weston.

Call (800) 716-4990 to schedule a free consultation today!

Why We Are the Right Choice

  • First-Hand Immigration Experience

    As an immigrant himself, Attorney Mahendran can relate to his clients' experiences and is compassionate to their personal stories.

  • Personalized Representation for All Clients

    Running a boutique law firm allows Attorney Mahendran to provide individualized attention to each of his clients' cases.

  • Free Consultations

    Your first consultation with us is 100% complimentary and confidential.

  • Over 20 Years of Immigration Law Experience

    Attorney Mahendran's decades of experience and knowledge helps deliver optimal results to his clients.

Meet Your Attorney

Dedicated to clients achieving the American Dream!

Contact Us

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.