Practice Areas

Pembroke Pines Attorney Skilled in Immigration Matters

At the Law Offices of Nishan C. Mahendran, we are exclusively dedicated to helping foreign nationals seek legal status in the U.S. Our principal, Pembroke Pines immigration lawyer Nishan C. Mahendran, is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association who has spoken publicly on many different immigration law subjects. We advise and represent clients who need a green card attorney or assistance with temporary visas, citizenship, or asylum.

Temporary Visas

There are many ways to obtain a temporary visa to visit the U.S. Among the temporary visas that we can help you pursue are visitor visas, temporary work visas, and student visas. There are two visitor visas, one for business visitors and one for tourists. In order to be eligible for these visas, you will need to prove that your intent is not to immigrate to the U.S. However, the amount of time that you can stay may be extended based on the approval of a requested extension.

Permanent Residence

We may be able to help you obtain a green card. Our firm handles family-based residency petitions and employment-based residency petitions. Through a family-based residency petition, you will be seeking permanent residence based on your relationship to a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. That relative will need to file a petition on your behalf, showing that they are sponsoring you. There are several ways to obtain permanent residency through employment, one of which is through an employer that sponsors you for a permanent employment opportunity.


Naturalization is the process by which a foreign national or citizen may obtain citizenship by fulfilling certain requirements established in the Immigration and Nationality Act. You may, for example, apply for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident of the U.S. for a minimum of five years and meet other eligibility requirements. Alternatively, you may apply for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for three or more years and meet the eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen. We can help you choose an appropriate path toward citizenship, given your individual circumstances.


You may apply for asylum if you are already within the U.S. and are considered a refugee. A refugee is someone who is unable to return to their home country due to a fear of future persecution or past persecution based on race, nationality, social group membership, religion, or political opinion. To apply for asylum, you need to meet a strict one-year deadline that runs from the date that you last entered the U.S. Even if you do not qualify for asylum, there may be other forms of relief that you may seek, such as Withholding of Removal. Our firm can help you apply for all available forms of relief.

Consult an Immigration Lawyer in the Pembroke Pines Area

As a naturalized citizen born in Sri Lanka, Mr. Mahendran is sensitive to the situations that his clients may be facing. He is a member of the Florida State Bar, and he is admitted to practice in front of the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit. If you need a visa attorney or assistance with another immigration matter, Pembroke Pines immigration attorney Nishan C. Mahendran is here to help. Our firm also represents clients in Fort Lauderdale, Tamarac, Weston, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Davie, Plantation, Hollywood, Miramar, and other cities in Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach Counties. Contact us via our online form or by calling 954-620-2028 for a free initial consultation.

CONTACT US · Free Initial Consultation